Thursday, February 28, 2013

God of the Hive

Anyone who knows me knows I love the Mary Russell books.  I got to meet Laurie, Miss Russell's editor at this past year's Bouchercon in Cleveland.  Quite spectacular.  So I have a Goodreads review from book ten, God of the Hive, that is fairly complete and sharable.  Enjoy!

  *  *  *  *  *

After I won the ARC of this from Goodreads, I was ever so excited.  Since The Language of Bees ended in a cliffhanger, I was especially grateful to get to read the book as soon as possible.  However, it was necessary to reread #9 before reading The God of the Hive.  Believe me, if you don't reread it and the last time you read #9 was last year, you might be a little lost (unless you have a photographic memory).  So on the recommendation of Miss Russell herself (on Twitter), I listened to the previous book.
 

The God of the Hive begins directly where the last left off, with Mary Russell carrying Estelle on her back in Scotland.  With the realization that Brothers is not dead, Russell must get the child to safety as soon as possible.  Since they are in the Orkneys, however, it is a bit of a problem.  Russell must once again get on that rickety plane and fly south to England, but that is easier said than done.  Meanwhile, Holmes is fleeing with a shot Damian, making it difficult for them to escape the Orkneys as well.  Both groups are able to succeed with help from old and new friends, including Russell's help from the mysterious Robert Goodman.

However, things are rotten in London.  Scotland Yard is after the Holmes family, and they are not the only ones.  The middle of the book brings some great worry, and I made the unfortunate mistake of pausing there amid my grad schoolwork.  Warning: Do not do this!  It will greatly affect your psyche and possibly make you miserable.  I won't give away anything else, just that more enemies exist for the Holmes' than Brothers and his gang.

I really enjoyed reading the ARC, but I frankly cannot wait to read the actual book.  If only to get the fully edited story without the interruption of school work.  Thanks, Miss Russell, for your exciting memoir.  And thanks, LRK, for the wonderful job of editing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment