Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Who Could That Be at This Hour?

Huge Lemony Snicket fan here.  How about you?  Some find it an acquired taste, but it is just perfect for me and my sense of humor.  His use of language is spectacular, and this book, a prequel series of sorts, is unusual like his other works.

  *  *  *  *  *

I read this faster then I wanted to, but it was due today with holds.  I love going into Snicket's childhood, and the whole thing is sufficiently mysterious and nonsensical like his other work.  Lemony has just graduated from the secret organization he trained with, and is now apprenticing with the worst of the 52 chaperones.  He has a reason for this, but I don't want to give anything away.  Basically, he ends up in a dying town for his first assignment, and meets some intelligent young people and ridiculous adults.  If you like A Series of Unfortunate Events and other Snicket works, you will enjoy.  If you don't like it, I don't know if you will care for this.  The writing style is similar to his grownup voice, but this sounds younger and less experienced.  Which in my mind, makes it all the more awesome, as an evolution of the author/character.  I might change this to a 5 star after I get another chance to read it, but for now it is 4.5.  Can't wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment