Thursday, February 7, 2013

It happens...

So I have decided to start a public book blog.  I suppose it was inevitable, though I certainly took my time getting to this point.  I hope to keep this fully updated, but I won't give you a hard promise.  My name is Jessica and I am a MLIS graduate, which means I wanted to be a librarian but I haven't found the right job for me yet.  (That is the optimistic view that I desperately want to hold instead of the reality.)

I love all kinds of literature, though I tend to go for more happy ending stuff when I am down.  Or happy.  Probably because I become super empathetic with people, even characters in books, and thus cannot stand when terrible things happen to good people.  So upfront warning-- I read quite a bit of romance.  Some of it rather silly, but I will try to be honest while reviewing it.  But remember, don't let anyone tell you romances are bad or stupid.  Some are, but some are wonderful.  I spent my formative years reading lots of historical and regency romance, which builds the vocabulary and (if you read the right authors) gives you a mini history lesson.

I also love children's literature, so many of my reviews will be in that genre.  In fact, my next post(s) will review the first four books of the Theodosia Throckmorton series by R.L. LaFevers.  I hope it will serve to encourage Ms. LaFevers to get back to the little heroine immediately after she finishes her YA series, which I am going to recommend briefly in this post, in hopes to get an ARC of the second in the His Fair Assassin trilogy.  So if you would, visit the trailer at this EW site.  The trilogy begins with Grave Mercy which was listed in YALSA's 2013 Best Fiction for Young Adults.  The second book, if you don't follow the link, is called Dark Triumph.  IF you like a combination of assassin nuns, mythology and dark fantasy, medieval Brittany, and a bit of romance, then you will probably enjoy these books. 

In addition to romance and children's/teen, I also enjoy a wide range of genres, including historical, mystery, funny memoirs, some fantasy (more in urban), some science fiction, and some narrative nonfiction.  And any combination of those you can come up with (looking at you, Jasper Fforde).  I hope you join me on my new journey, but if you don't, I understand that there are so many freaking blogs out there it would be difficult.  Of course, if you are that person, you probably aren't reading this, so I suppose my words are superfluous. Still, I like to be thorough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment